The #13 ranked tennis team defeated Brewton Parker (Ga.) College but fell to Coastal Georgia and Middle Georgia in Southern States Athletic Conference matches this past weekend.
Against Coastal Georgia, the squad dropped all three doubles matches, but rallied as #3 singles Paula Rives Palau defeated Samantha Lasslett 6-4, 6-3 and #4 singles Kirsten Dickins defeated Paige DeLaPerriere 6-4, 6-2. However, the squad came up short as #1 singles Maya Mammetgulyyeva fell to Daniella Caruso 7-6(4), 6-1 to allow the Mariners to clinch the match.
On Saturday, the team rolled through Brewton Parker in all three doubles matches as the #1 pairing of Patricia Recalde Pacua and Paula Rives Palau, the #2 team of Maya Mammetgulyyeva and Kirsten Dickins and the #3 team of Elizabeth Bielicki and Carmen Garcia Pitarch Lopez each rolled 8-0 to give the team a 3-0 lead. Rives then clinched the match at #3 singles with a 6-0 victory.
In the last conference match against #18 Middle Georgia State, the Golden Tigers won two of three doubles matches to take a 2-1 lead into singles play. However, the Knights rallied with wins at #6, #5 and #4 to take a 4-2 lead. Brenau responded as Paula Rives Palau and Patricia Recalde Pacua each won their singles matches to tie the score at 4-4. In the deciding match at #1 singles, Middle Georgia's Preeti Gokhale overcame Maya Mammetgulyyeva in an epic 7-5, 4-6, 7-6(6) match.
"It was a long, hard-fought battle with Middle Georgia yesterday," said head coach Andre Ferreira. "Both teams had multiple match points at doubles #2 and singles #1. The level displayed in that last singles match was unbelievable. Of course it's disappointing to lose in the end, but it was such a high level tennis match from beginning to end. Both players left everything they had on the court and it was a beautiful thing to watch."
"I am really happy with the way our team is coming along in this stage of the season. This group is facing tremendous adversity and simply refuses to give up. I am particularly impressed with the leadership displayed on the court by Patricia, Paula and Maya. We've had to make adjustments to our line up in singles and doubles all season long and they continue to raise their level in basically every situation they face."
The team takes on #15 University of Northwestern Ohio on Sunday at Lessie Smithgall Tennis Center in Gainesville.
#13 Brenau 3, RV Coastal Georgia 6
1. Caruso/Sepe (CCGA) def. Recalde/Rives (BU) 9-7
2. Lasslett/Lawing (CCGA) def. Mammetgulyyeva/Dickins (BU) 9-7
3. DeLaPerriere/Garner (CCGA) def. Bielicki/López (BU) 8-4
1. Daniella Caruso (CCGA) def. Maya Mammetgulyyeva (BU) 7-6(4), 6-1
2. Patricia Recalde Pacua (BU) def. Samantha Sepe (CCGA) 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
3. Paula Rives Palau (BU) def. Samantha Lasslett (CCGA) 6-4, 6-3
4. Kirsten Dickins (BU) def. Paige DeLaPerriere (CCGA) 6-4, 6-2
5. Lindsey Lawing (CCGA) def. Elizabeth Bielicki (BU) 6-0, 4-6, 6-3
6. Madeline Garner (CCGA) def. Carmen Garcia Pitarch López (BU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2); Singles (6, 4, 3, 1*, 2, 5)
Brenau 5, Brewton-Parker 0
1. Recalde/Rives (BU) def. Wilkerson/Taylor (BPC) 8-0
2. Mammetgulyyeva/Dickins (BU) def. Watkinson/Smith (BPA) 8-0
3. Bielicki/Lopez (BU) def. Tannoa/Sills (BPC) 8-0
1. Maya Mammetgulyyeva (BU) vs. V. Wilkerson (BPC) 6-0, DNF
2. Patricia Recalde Pacua (BU) vs. T. Taylor (BPC) 6-0, 1-0 DNF
3. Paula Rives Palau (BU) vs. H. Watkinson (BPC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Kirsten Dickins (BU) vs. G. Tannoa (BPC) 6-0, 4-0 DNF
5. Elizabeth Bielicki (BU) vs. K. Sills (BPC) 6-2, DNF
6. Carmen Garcia Pitarch Lopez (BU) def. M. Smith (BPC) default
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 1, 3); Singles (3*)
Brenau 4, Middle Georgia 5
1. Recalde/Rives (BU) def. Persiani/Gokhale (MGA) 8-6
2. Mammetgulyyeva/Dickins (BU) def. Ashley/Garcia (MGA) 9-8(11)
3. Heer/Cocoma (MGA) def. Bielicki/Lopez (BU) 8-4
1. Preeti Gokhale (MGA) def. Maya Mammetgulyyeva (BU) 7-5, 4-6, 7-6(6)
2. Patricia Recalde Pacua (BU) def. Lara Persiani (MGA) 6-3, 6-1
3. Paula Rives Palau (BU) def. Shelby Ashley (MGA) 6-1, 6-0
4. Jacqueline Heer (MGA) def. Kirsten Dickins (BU) 7-6(2), 6-2
5. Yannick Garcia (MGA) def. Elizabeth Bielicki (BU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Laura Cocoma (MGA) def. Carmen Garcia Pitarch Lopez (MGA) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2); Doubles (6, 5, 3, 2, 4, 1*)