The #9 ranked Brenau tennis team competed well throughout but came up just short in a 6-3 loss to #14 Xavier (La.) University on Monday in Mobile.
For the Golden Tigers, the match marked the end of an exceptionally rigorous schedule- the eighth in a period of 12 days-with seven of the opposing teams either ranked in the top 25 or receiving votes.
After falling in all three of the doubles matches, Brenau lost in #4 and #6 singles to give Xavier the victory. However, wins at #2 singles from Rebecca Pijls, #3 singles Patricia Recalde and #5 singles Paula Rives kept the match score closer than the final score appeared.
"Doubles made a big difference in the match against Xavier," said head coach Andre Ferreira. "It's not easy to overcome a 0-3 deficit. I don't think we played particularly bad as much as I think Xavier had an inspired day in doubles."
"I also think our group did an outstanding job in singles and fought well to split those matches 3-3 with Xavier.
Our team needs a bit of rest now so we can be 100% physically and mentally in our next match against another top ten team in William Woods (MO) University."
Brenau (3-9 overall, 2-1 SSAC) next hosts William Woods University on March 9th at 3 pm eastern in Gainesville.
Brenau 3, Xavier 6
1. Kranendonk/Ancar (XU) def. Mammetgulyyeva/Pijls (BU) 8-3
2. Goreau/Nelson (XU) def. Recalde/Rives (BU) 8-4
3. Harris/Bruins (XU) def. Dickins/Bielicki (BU) 8-1
1. Charlene Goreau (XU) def. Maya Mammetgulyyeva (BU) 6-4, 6-0
2. Rebecca Pijls (BU) def. Emma Kranendonk (XU) 6-2, 3-6, 10-8
3. Patricia Recalde (BU) def. Brandi Nelson (XU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Lacee Ancar (XU) def. Kirsten Dickins (BU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Paula Rives (BU) def. Sha'nel Bruins (XU) 2-6, 7-5, 10-7
6. Yi Chen Pao (XU) def. Elizabeth Bielicki (BU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 2, 1); Singles (4, 6*, 3, 1, 5, 2)