At the Southern States Athletic Conference Roundup, the #4 Brenau tennis team defeated Loyola (La.) and #12 William Carey (Miss.) University but fell to the #16 University of Mobile (Ala.) in Mobile.
On early Friday, the Golden Tigers lost a close 5-4 matchup against #16 University of Mobile. After opening the match with a loss at #3 doubles, the squad rallied to win both #1 and #2 doubles to take the match lead.
After the host Rams responded with wins at #6, #4 and #1 singles, the Golden Tigers again answered with wins by Rebecca Pijls and Paula Rives at #2 and #5 singles to even up the match. In the deciding match, the Rams' Lena Schwerdtefeger defeated Patricia Recalde 7-6(3), 6-1 to escape with the win.
"We had a battle with University of Mobile this morning," said head coach Andre Ferreira. "I am very proud of our team. They showed up ready and fought every minute of every match. The team energy was incredible - as good as I've ever seen. We had a great start in doubles and I can't praise them enough for their performance. Mobile has a deep team so we knew we would have to earn every point in singles too."
"Unfortunately, we came up just a little short in the last match and that's what makes college tennis so exciting."
On Friday afternoon, the Golden Tigers swept doubles and singles play against Loyola for a 9-0 win.
After all three doubles team won, #3 Patricia Recalde and #4 Kirsten Dickins each closed out their matches to clinch the victory.
"Loyola is a much improved team this year and the score doesn't quite tell the story," said Ferreira. "Doubles No. 1 was intense and there were lots of quality games and points in singles. Earlier in the day, Loyola lost 5-4 to top 10 Middle Georgia. Our girl's ability to shake off a tough loss against Mobile and turnaround to defeat Loyola 9-0 is another indicator of our team's strength and resilience."
In Saturday's matchup against #12 William Carey, Brenau won two of three doubles matches, but the Crusaders won doubles matches at #2, #4 and #6 singles to take a 4-2 lead. The Golden Tigers evened the score at 4-4 with wins at #5 and #1, and then Patricia Recalde clinched the team win by closing out her match 6-4, 6-7(5), 7-5 .
"I am happy for Paty (Patricia Recalde)," said Ferreira. . "She deserved a close victory like this one. She's been playing well and came just a little short against Mobile. To turnaround in 24 hours from a tough loss to find the strength and gut this one out just says a lot about her and the team."
Brenau (2-8 overall) next plays #12 William Carey (Miss) University on Saturday in Mobile.
Final Results (10:00 am)
Brenau 4, Mobile 5
1. Mammetgulyyeva/Pijls (BU) def. Plauth/Marchione (UM) 8-4
2. Recalde/Rives (BU) def. Schwerdtefeger/Barabas (UM) 8-3
3. Martinkova/Junggerburth (UM) def. Dickins/Bielicki (BU) 8-5
1. Mariah Plauth (UM) def. Maya Mammetgulyyeva (BU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Rebecca Pijls (BU) def. Silvia Martinkova (UM) 6-2, 6-2
3. Lena Schwerdtefeger (UM) def. Patricia Recalde (BU) 7-6(3), 6-1
4. Carolina Barabas (UM) def. Kirsten Dickins (BU) 6-4, 6-0
5. Paula Rives (BU) def. Sina Marchione (BU) 7-6(4), 6-1
6. Lea Junggerburth (UM) def. Elizabeth Bielicki (BU) 6-4, 6-1
Final Results (3:00 pm)
Brenau 9, Loyola 0
1. Mammetgulyyeva/Pijls (BU) def. Martinez/Cano (LOY) 8-6
2. Recalde/Rives (BU) def. Ochsner/Adams (LOY) 8-1
3. Dickins/Bielicki (BU) def. Sutherland/Rivera (LOY) 8-3
1. Maya Mammetgulyyeva (BU) def. Koral Martinez (LOY) 6-1, 6-2
2. Rebecca Pijls (BU) def. Nadja Ochsner (LOY) 6-1, 6-4
3. Patricia Recalde (BU) def. Margaret Adams (LOY) 6-0, 6-0
4. Kirsten Dickins (BU) def. Tori Sutherland (LOY) 6-2, 6-0
5. Paula Rives (BU) def. Ariana Rivera (LOY) 6-0, 6-0
6. Elizabeth Bielicki (BU) def. Isabel Junqueira (LOY) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3, 1); Singles (3, 4*, 6, 5, 1, 2)
#4 Brenau 5, #12 William Carey 4
1. Mammetgulyyeva/Pijls (BU) def. Grela/Beliaeva (WCU) 8-4
2. Recalde/Rives (BU) def. Djordan/Barsotti (WCU) 8-4
3. Kaufmann/Andreeva (WCU) def. Dickins/Bielicki (BU) 8-4
1. Maya Mammetgulyyeva (BU) def. Aleksandra Grela (WCU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-0
2. Jelena Djordan (WCU) def. Rebecca Pijls (BU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Patricia Recalde (BU) def. Wendy Barsotti (WCU) 6-4, 6-7(5), 7-5
4. Nataliia Beliaeva (WCU) def. Kirsten Dickins (BU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Paula Rives (BU) def. Gloria Kaufmann (WCU) 7-6(0), 6-4
6. Lorena Jimenez (WCU) def. Elizabeth Bielicki (BU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 3, 2); Singles (4, 6, 2, 5, 1, 3*)