Tampa, Fl- The Tigers tennis team finished off their tour of Florida yesterday with a match against the top team in the NJCA, Hillsborough Community College, and came up just short by a score of 5-4. That makes three top ranked teams in a row for Brenau and drops their overall record to 3-5. The match was played in extremely windy conditions and despite early leads in both doubles matches, the Tigers were unable to hang on and lost both by identical 9-7 scores. HCC conceded the third doubles match and the #6 singles due to suspension and ineligibility. Hannah Thompson and Jolene Wong won their matches fairly easily to tie the match.
That left Lyn See Choo on the court facing the top ranked NJCA player, Jillian O'Neill. Choo took the first set 6-4 playing some of her best tennis of the season, but quickly fell behind in the second and lost 6-0. In the third set, Lyn See had leads of 3-1 and points for a 5-3 advantage but could not clinch the match. O'Neill, who is headed to Georgia Tech next year, rallied strongly to finally pull out the win.
1. Choo/Kate Mazackova lost to O'Neill/Spafford 9-7
2. Wong/Orlova lost to Howlett/Palinkos 9-7
3. Nellie Martirosyan/Thompson won by default
1. Choo lost to O'Neill 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
2. Mazackova lost to Howlett 6-2, 6-1
3. Orlova lost to Spafford 6-4, 6-0
4. Thompson beat Pickerill 6-1, 6-3
5. Wong beat Palinkos 6-2, 6-1
6. Nagels won by default