In the SSAC conference tournament, the #2 Brenau Golden Tigers finished second to #1 Auburn-Montgomery University, dropping the championship match 5-2.
In the first semifinal match, Brenau defeated Coastal Georgia 5-0. After sweeping the doubles matches to give the Golden Tigers an early 3-0 lead, #2 singles player Maria Perdoma Medina (Canary Island, Spain) and #1 singles player Dominika Jasova (Kosice, Slovakia) capped off the match for Brenau.
"In a tournament, when you are playing two rounds in one day, it makes a difference to win all three doubles and start singles with a big lead," said head coach Andre Ferreira. "That was the case today. Maria and Dominika also played well in singles which gave us the two points we needed to clinch the victory".
Brenau 5, Coastal Georgia 0
1. Nagels/Perdomo (BU) def. Faas/Rijal (CCGA) 8-2
2. Jasova/Nazarova (BU) def. Hunter/Polakovic (CCGA) 8-1
3. Djurdjevic/Moniz (BU) def. Beba/Lopes (CCGA) 8-4
Order of finish (2, 1, 3)
1. Dominika Jasova def. Elektra Hunter (CCGA) 6-0, 6-0
2. Maria Perdomo Medina (BU) def. Kristina Polakovic (CCGA) 6-0, 6-2
3. Zalina Nazarova (BU) vs. Nicole Faas (CCGA) 2-6, 1-2, did not finish
4. Eline Nagels (BU) vs. Priti Rijal (CCGA) 4-4, did not finish
5. Sophie van Beijnum (BU) vs. Sunshine Beba (CCGA) 4-4, did not finish
6. Stephanie Moniz (BU) vs. Luisa Lopes (CCGA) 0-0, did not finish
Order of finish (2, 1*)
In the finals, the Warhawks took the #1 and #3 doubles, while the #2 team of Jasova and Zalina Nazarova captured a victory for the Golden Tigers.
Coach Ferreira noted, "It was a great final, with exciting moments in doubles and singles. The doubles point was once again really close and intense, especially on court No 3. AUM pulled off a good win in the tie-breaker".
#6 singles player Sophie van Beijnum (Woerden, Netherlands) kept the Brenau hopes alive, winning her match 7-5, 6-0. However, the Warhawks proved to be too much, winning at #1, #3 and #5 to capture the win.
"In singles, AUM took early leads on every court but our team continued to fight. Sophie kept us alive by winning on court No. 6," said Coach Ferreira. "In the end, I think we started to see the momentum shift to our side. But AUM was able to hold off our energy and win the fifth point before it was too late".
Brenau 2, AUM 5
1. Curtis/William (AUM) def. Nagels/Perdomo (BU) 8-1
2. Jasova/Nazarova (BU) def. Cunningham/Vargas (AUM) 8-4
3. Zowczak/Caro (AUM) def. Moniz/Djurdjevic (BU) 9-8(4)
Order of finish (1, 2, 3)
1. Jade Curtis (AUM) def. Dominika Jasova (BU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Vladica Djurdjevic (BU) vs. Tiffany William (AUM) 5-7, 5-6, did not finish
3. Morgane Zowczak (AUM) def. Maria Perdomo Medina (BU) 6-0, 6-4
4. Zalina Nazarova (BU) vs. Chanel Cunningham (AUM) 3-6, 6-4, did not finish
5. Hagar Caro (AUM) def. Eline Nagels (BU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Sophie van Beijnum (BU) def. Maria Vargas (AUM) 7-5, 6-0
Order of finish (3, 1, 6, 5*)
Brenau now waits for their seeding and opponent in the NAIA National Tournament on May 14-18 in Mobile, Ala.