The NAIA#1 ranked Brenau Golden Tigers tennis team faced NCAA Division I University of Alabama-Birmingham on Sunday, dropping the match 0-7. For the first time this season, the Golden Tigers did not pick up any wins during the match.
Coach Andre Ferreira, however, was optimistic about the outcome, saying, "I was really happy we were able to play this weekend. Although we did not pick up any wins in this dual-match, I look at this loss in a very positive way. We played very well in doubles and led in a couple of courts, making UAB earn the doubles point. In singles we were able to hang in there for part of the match, but not quite long enough".
Coach Ferreira also saw value in the loss for the long term growth of the team, noting that, "Even though they lost, they are developing into great fighters, growing as players, and raising the bar for the next generation. I feel very good with our group, the team atmosphere, and where we stand in the season."
Brenau 0, AUB 7
1. Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Dominika Jasova (BU) 7-6 (0-3), 6-1
2. Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Vladica Djurdjevic (BU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Caroline Faught (UAB) def. Maria Perdomo Medina (BU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Amy Lowther (UAB) def. Zalina Nazarova (BU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Menanteau Moolman (UAB) def. Eline Nagels (BU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Elaine Simon (UAB) def. Sophie Van Beijnum (BU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Menanteau Moolman/Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Dominika Jasova/Zalina Nazarova (BU) 8-4
2. Sarah Witkowski/Caroline Faught (UAB) def. Eline Nagels/Maria Perdomo Medina (BU) 8-5
3. Elaine Simon/Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Stephanie Moniz/Vladica Djurdjevic (BU) 8-7 (3)
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (2, 3, 1, 4, 6, 5)
The Golden Tigers next hit the hard courts in Montgomery, AL. on Thursday April 4th when they face nationally ranked, conference opponent Auburn-Montgomery University. The first match is at 1 pm central time.